At Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport, passenger safety is our top priority both in the air and in our terminals. We know you are receiving an overwhelming amount of information related to the COVID-19 outbreak, however, we feel it’s important for you to also stay informed on the safety measures in place at SHD and with our partners at United Airlines. Keep in mind, our flights to Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Washington Dulles (IAD) continue to run as scheduled, and every effort is being made to accommodate passengers in the event that flight changes are needed. Here are the precautionary measures SHD and United Airlines have implemented:
- SHD has proactively increased our cleaning and disinfecting measures in the Airline and Corporate Terminals for all high-touch areas.
- Hand sanitizing stations have been available in our terminals for some time, but our staff has increased efforts to monitor these stations and refill immediately when needed.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) infographics have been posted throughout our buildings reminding passengers, staff, and visitors of steps they should take to prevent the spread of viruses such as COVID-19.
- United Airlines is disinfecting airplanes using high-grade cleaner. Following the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) regulations, if a passenger is exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, the aircraft is taken out of service and thoroughly decontaminated.
- United will also start using an electrostatic fogger to disinfect air and surfaces for all international arrivals.
- It’s important to remember that United Airlines aircraft are equipped with state-of-the-art, hospital-grade air circulation systems that remove 99.7% of airborne particles.
- To limit person-to-person contact, United flight attendants are wearing gloves during food service and avoiding repeat use of cups. United crews are provided with all necessary supplies to maintain good hygiene while safely serving passengers.
For passengers scheduled to fly between now and April 30th, travel waivers are in effect to allow itinerary changes with no fees regardless of where you’re traveling. Please note, this is in addition to the previous waiver, which waives all change fees for tickets booked between March 3rd and March 31st. For more information about change fee waivers and current United Airlines announcements about travel, click here.
We will continue to keep you informed through our social media channels about the COVID-19 response efforts at SHD and with United, as well as any flight changes, when additional information is available.